View the Online Gallery and Fine Art Reproductions Available

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Another Post from "a Misspent god"

I'm working diligently on this story and trying to finish my second novel now titled Tall Pauley (instead of Saint Pauley)--thanks to my first readers.  The final drafts of both of these represent some serious toiling with words. There is much to do, much to do.  But I love it.

I thought that I had better post something, though, to help me push forward.  So, here's a bit more from a chapter entitled "The Metalworker."

__________________________________________



I wandered for several more cycles of the sun. I wandered in and out of villages and towns observing the work and the ways of the lower ones. Often I would hear the names of the gods invoked in prayer, cursing or woven into conversations such as this. "I was plowing the field three days ago when it rained, Gersemi be praised.”  It seemed everywhere I went they praised or invoked the names of a myriad of gods.  There were times I shook my head in disbelief. 

One time in particular, I must tell you, I was sitting near a fountain. Many lower ones milled around me. I overheard one sitting close by saying, "Honor be to Ogmios!" I cannot recall the context in which it was said, but I scoffed at his name. I thought I had done this under my breath, but the man who spoke heard me say this. He turned on me and cried out his displeasure, which gathered quite a large crowd. He leapt to his feet and cried out, "This man has no respect for Ogmios!" To which I cried out, unfortunately, "I have no respect for any of your gods!" This was not the thing to say, no matter how true it was to my thoughts. Within a very short time I was being drug out of the town and stones were being collected of which they intended to hurl at me.  Do they not understand that the very stones they picked up were the same stones that have fallen from the mountains? How one stone could be used as a weapon, another a part of the wall, another considered rubbish to be thrown out on the field and yet another to be a god is completely beyond my understanding! 

At the moment that I was to feel the true effects of stone against flesh, I sensed some of my old powers return. Perhaps this happened because I was nearing the end of my trial period.  For whatever reason I was able to loose myself and ran from their midst. I ran for half of the day then became somewhat hungry. I would need sustenance for only a short while more.

On the outskirts of another small town I saw a small alcove with a small figure of a god tucked inside.  It was surrounded by dead and freshly picked flowers. There was an odd smell of decay and sweetness. What lay at the base of the alcove was the real find! There was quite a large pile of fruit and nuts. I took small bites of these at first, and finding them delicious, soon ate my fill, decimating the large pile of fruit. I left only pits and stems for the worshipers to discover. After all, they might enjoy some proof that what they gave to a god was indeed gladly received of a god. I believe I was fortunate that no one found me there. I imagine they would have picked up more stones to teach me proper respect for their tiny statue.

I wandered the streets for a time, exploring their marketplace. Soon after, I entered a shop that was very well kept. Inside were small and large images made of what I learned was silver, a precious material considered to be of great value. I recognized some of the images as similar to what the stonemason had been carving. This was a shop filled with the images of gods. I almost laughed out loud at their large eyes, protruding lips and strange clothing. It was apparent that the imaginations of the lower ones were quite crude.

A big voice behind me interrupted my reflections on this matter. I turned to see a rather large man. His eyes danced with the prospect of the exchange of coins for gods. His wide mouth was filled with teeth as white as snow. It reminded me somewhat of my father's smile, broad but without great brushes of ridicule.

Copyright M.R. Hyde 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment