View the Online Gallery and Fine Art Reproductions Available

Saturday, January 21, 2012

What I'm Reading Now

I was so sorry to miss the last CSWRS session. I trust that it went well--as usual. In the meantime I thought I would let you know what I'm reading. Typically I have my fingers in about four books at a time.

I've been captivated by The Children of Oden: The Book of Northern Myths by Padraic Colum. I have fascinated by stories and legends of this ilk, so this is a good basic primer. In addition to this, the challenge of writing tales of this nature is put before me. I am intrigued by the type of oral tradition this seems to present and will turn my pen (a.k.a keyboard) to something of this nature in the future.

Another finger holds open a collection of short stories by one of my favorite authors Willa Cather. The Troll Garden and Selected Stories has some compelling facets of her writing. Still grounded in the American soil, the selections I have read so far deal with the gritty and isolated immigrant experience. Cather's sympathy for immigrants is moving and keeps the reality of that struggle ever before us.

Phantastes: A Faerie Romance for Men and Women by George Macdonald has been sitting open for a while. I'm mostly reading this because of his influence on C.S. Lewis. I'll need to pick this up again soon so that I don't lose the taste from my mouth.

Of course, I continue to read The Bible daily. That's just a must for me.

Well, happy reading! I'll post some of my latest adventure in writing from Saint Ahab soon.

M.R. Hyde

No comments:

Post a Comment